As we go through cold and flu season we wanted to high light a few foods that you may want to consider to help give your immune system a boost and help it stay as strong as possible. These foods are high in antioxidants or other vitamins and minerals that help promote a healthy life and immune system. Some of these foods also help your immune system by reducing inflammation. But, it’s not any single one of these will do the job alone. Having a balanced diet using a combination of these foods should help you be more prone to staying healthy since you will be giving your body as much quality nutrients as possible. So, we have compiled a list of 24 immune system boosting foods along with their associated vitamins.
Immune System Boosting Food List
- Lemon Water- high in vitamin C and easy to make.
- Cinnamon- contains polyphenol.
- Citrus foods- Vitamin C is super popular.
- Bell peppers- vitamin C and betacarotene.
- Brocolli- this is a superfood! rich in Vitamin C, beta carotene, B1, B2, B3, B6, zinc, potassium, and iron.
- Garlic- a great antioxidant with anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
- Ginger- antioxidant and fights inflammation.
- Spinach- vitamin A, vitamin C, Magnesium, and iron.
- Yogurt- protein, vitamin B12, vitamin D, Vitamin B2, and probiotics.
- Almonds- vitamin E
- Turmeric– fights inflammation such as curcumin.
- Green tea – such a great source of polyphenols and flavonoids antioxidants
- Papaya- vitamin C and papain which has inflammation-fighting properties.
- Kiwi- vitamin K, folate, and potassium.
- Poultry – turkey and chicken are a solid source b6, not mention the obvious source of protein.
- Sunflower seeds- vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorous, and vitamin B6.
- Avocado- high in amino acids containing 18 of the 22.
- Shellfish- a great source of zinc
- Button mushrooms – rich in selenium & vitamin B.
- Acai Berries- high in lots of free radical-fighting antioxidants and anthocyanins.
- Elderberries- a very popular choice for fighting the flu.
- Watermelon -potassium and glutathione a big free-radical fighting antioxidant.
- Miso Soup- high in probiotic which helps with gastrointestinal health. Gastro health and immune health go hand in hand.
- Sweet Potatoes- High in vitamin A and C.
These are just a few immune system boosting foods. There are plenty of other vitamin and mineral-rich foods that are good for you. Let us know what you think and what some of your favorite foods may be. We hope you all stay healthy and happy during the cold and flu season! And, if you want to read more about other foods that fight inflammation.